Denotation and Connotation

For this blog, I decided to get creative with meaning. I wanted to practice changing the connotation of words by editing something and flipping it's implied meaning completely. I thought about and had the idea to find a very strongly worded Yelp! review and change its language into all positive or neutral choices.


The restaurant I chose had some interesting reviews. It's a wing place in Downtown Jacksonville. The original review is:


One of the rudest owners I've ever met! Both the husband and wife are a bsolutely terrible!! Nasty, loud and rude people. Constant eye rolling, and attitude when asking for things like drink refills and extra sauce. The daughter who is always working makes it seem like she is being bothered when asking for anything. The food itself is fried right from a freezer bag. How they are still in business I'll never understand.

To help practice with changing meaning based on diction I have converted this review as follows:


One of the most hands-on owners I've ever met! Both the husband and wife are absolutely involved in every aspect of running the restaurant. Meticulous, loud and pragmatic people. Constantly checking in on customers, and attentive to things like drink refills and extra sauce. A true family affair! The daughter who is always working always listens when you are asking for anything. The food itself is fried quickly an efficiently from the freezer. How they are still in business when they take so much time and energy to run it, I'll never understand!

Comments